Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Praying

"I am learning that when I pray, I desecularize myself, that part of me that's 'prone to wander,...prone to leave the God I love.' When I pause in my time--weekly, daily, hourly--I put one foot into His time and stride this great divide between the human and the divine, and the more I straddle this chasm in my personal universe, the closer the holy comes. I am frequently not only aware of God, but flushed full of Him. Time which used to crack only slightly to make place for Him, now folds outward, and He seeps into, invades wholly, engulfs completely the rest of the moments of my life, taking gentle advantage of the rare keyhole windows in the spaces in my soul.

He is an importunate lover, demanding concentration. I am at the point in my spiritual appointments with Him that when I leave these allotted moments, He uses them and haunts my soul with love thoughts the rest of my day."

~Karen Burton Mains, Making Sunday Special

No comments: